Wednesday, March 31, 2010

PASSOVER MEMORIES 2010


Passover always reminds me of going to Boby's house. We went there, my mother and I, every Friday night for Shabbos and for all the Jewish holidays until she died when I was 12. Shabbat was festive, but the holidays were more so ……"snowy white tablecloth, special silverware that came out of a velvet-lined wooden box", only for Passover; Ken was there, Aunt Ruth, I don't remember barbara there; my Zaidy lead the Seder, and Ken and I always kicked each other under the table……and put up such a ruckus while Zaidy read from the Haggadah  + tried to tell the story, so finally everyone said, I'm starving , let's eat.  That's what I remember.  Let the feasting begin………gefilte fish, I never liked it so i skipped to herring in wine sauce, horseradish, chicken soup, brisket, chicken, tzimmes, potatoes……..now that i think of it, i can't recall any green vegetables…..honey cake, sponge cake, barton's almond kisses and those 1,000% sugar jellied candies, red, yellow, orange + green…….walnuts.....in the shell; you had to use a nutcracker.........oh, the most important holiday food, matzah ! My mother sent me to school with latke tuna sandwiches.......she made the best latkes, from farfel and matzah meal. She also made those little popovers with farfel that were delicious. 



No comments: