Friday, December 24, 2010

BITTERSWEET MIAMI VISIT

Barry and I travelled to Florida on monday to get to Roby's funeral on Tuesday.

Bernice told me I was on the list of people Roby requested to speak at his funeral. I was very moved. That meant he knew I would come. It was heart-wrenching listening to Ellen and Jeff and the grandchildren get up and talk about their memories and all the time they spent with Roby. Barry + I did not get to spend that much time with him but still we felt his love even as far away as Boston. He was such a dedicated correspondent, he sent articles and clippings to everyone it seems - even the Rabbi commented on that....."did he send articles to everyone in the room ? It seems he did."

The glowing terms that everyone used to describe their connection with him.........such an extraordinary man, an intellectual, a great mind, learning right up to the end........never stop learning.......and what came through for me especially, a very loving man. He was extraordinary. This is a great loss.

Julian Slane, Ellen's son came from Seattle. He spoke along with Ellen + Jeff and the grandchildren, Jocelyn, Jeremy and Erin. Julian spoke for his sister Amber who couldn't make it. She wrote about the loss of Grandpa Sandler on her blog, Amber's Adventures. My cousin Ellen wrote about her father on her blog, lifeisjustabowlofchicken; scroll down to January 6, Remembering my Dad, Robert Sandler, 1923-2010 + Hollywood Beach, January 9, 2011. 

After the funeral we went to the cemetery and after that back to the Temple to begin sitting Shiva, eat, and attend the afternoon service, Mincha. We sat at the Sandler cousins' table with Ellen and Robert, Jeff and Debbie and Julian. We hadn't seen each other in over 40 years. I had never met Robert and Julian Slane or Debbie, Jeff's wife. This was a historic occasion for the Sandler family. Unfortunately, due to the occasion, no photos were taken.

A very beautiful obituary was written in the Miami Herald and can be seen here. Julian Slane wrote about Grandpa Sandler's funeral on his blog, Julian's Early Morning Blog.

5 comments:

Julian said...

Carol, it was great to meet you and Barry! A friend told me before I left that sometimes such sad occasions bring much needed family reunions. I think she was correct. -Julian

carol said...

Julian, right back at you ! Barry + I were so happy to meet you finally. Barry had never met Jeff either.......so I agree with your friend, yes, she was correct......I really like how she worded it: 'much- needed family reunions'. I hope we get to see each other again for a happy occasion. Barry said you invited him to visit in Seattle if he's in the area.........we're thinking about a road trip in the summer ! - carol

MAMMALOS said...

As I am using Pam's brother's (David) computer as he sleeps and as Pam assists her Dad & Mom in making the next meal for us to eat in Paradise, Butte County, California, I feel much sadness and much happiness in your post about your loss of your very special Uncle and wish you all the best of all including but not limited to health as that is the real wealth...

Anonymous said...

Very nice post, Carol. We sure will miss him.

Amber said...

What a great post. Thank you for sharing, Carol. I'm sorry I couldn't have been there to sit at that table and meet you as well.

I will always miss my Grandpa.