Friday, April 22, 2011

ROBY AND BASEBALL 2011

Ordinarily I look forward to the start of the baseball season here in Boston with great excitement knowing that Spring and warm weather are soon to follow. This year it came with a tinge of melancholy knowing that I wouldn't be having any discussions of the game with my Uncle Roby, lifelong Red Sox fan + author of He Tipped His Cap about Ted Williams. (To read the article click here)

Here is a photo of two generations of Sandler family baseball memorabilia. Bernice gave me the baseball and the Red Sox cap belonging to Roby. My cousin Ken lent me a piece of the left field wall at Fenway Park given to him by his father, Hy Josephs.

The baseball lived for a very long time in Roby's office on one of his book shelves, third shelf on the right.


In the midst of all his books and scholarship and family photos, taped to the side of his bookshelves for a very, very long time is the Boston Red Sox pennant.













I almost forgot my own ticket stub from 2000 when my friend and I sat in the bleachers one warm, muggy night at Fenway.......

No comments: