Monday, January 10, 2011

ROBY'S OFFICE


My brother and I planned a trip to visit with our aunt and uncle, Roby and Bernice. I was so looking forward to

getting together with Roby to work on his blog, Robert Sandler's Views. (click here)The plan was to scan all his published articles into the computer and get them on his blog for current and future readers. We worked on it over the phone until he seemed to get upset by the frustration of trying to communicate with each other about the work and how it looked on his computer which was different than mine. Unfortunately that trip was not to be. Instead Barry and I had to go to his funeral. Barry and I both took pictures of his office, just as it was when he left it. Prominently displayed is the Wailing Wall from the Temple of Solomon in Jerusalem, indicating his lifelong passion and commitment to Judaism manifested also by his leadership role in starting the Judaic Studies department at the University of Miami.
Because of his problems with Mild Cognitive Impairment, he wrote little notes that he taped to his lamp to remind himself of things his memory had forgotten. (click on images to enlarge)


Whenever I see these photos it's as though he's
coming right back to pick up where he left off.




If you enlarge this picture, you can see a note next to the photo of me,
'Carol, niece'. In the last years of his life, we grew closer while
working on the phone on Robert Sandler's Views. I got more letters
and notes and articles.














No comments: