Saturday, December 31, 2011

ACTUAL CHINESE RESTAURANT SIGN + LITTLE KNOWN JEWISH HISTORY

My friend Joan in Oakland, California emailed this to me last week. My acupuncturist just told me she sent it to two friends so here it is + Happy New Year everybody.

In honor of the new year, and the New Year's party in my building, I just had a manicure and had my nails painted with bronze glitter polish....you only live once ! Unless you're a buddhist, I guess.....


In keeping with the Jews + Chinese restaurants:
Little Known Jewish History
According to the Jewish calendar, the year is 5772.  According to the Chinese calendar, the year is 4708.  
This means that the Jews went without Chinese food for 1,064 years.
This period was known as the Dark Ages.
 
Happy New Year !

credit: friend of joan l.

4 comments:

Molly said...

Happy New Year Carol!

Thanks for sharing the photo of the Chinese Restaurant Association sign. Funny.

A friend up here once asked me if I knew what she did on Christmas. Not knowing what was coming I said I did not - so she told me, "Chinese food and a movie!"

May you have a happy, healthy and satisfying 2012.

Amber said...

Ha-I love it!

We eat Chinese food each Thanksgiving (or at least Thanksgiving weekend)... it's a tradition now, since we used to travel (before kid/s) and would usually go away at Thanksgiving... on year we were in China, the next we were in Chinatown in NYC. Maybe we'll need to make it our new Christmas tradition instead - now that we don't travel as much (in general, or at holidays!).

Happy New Year!!!

carol said...

Thanks a lot Bernice - I love it too ! I was so excited about getting a manicure with that glittery polish I almost felt like a teenager, lol, :)

Mimi Katz kindly took the picture - that's how excited I was ! You can look at her latest pictures on her blog of her annual trip to Spectacle Island with the Friends of the Boston Harbour Islands: http://blog.mimikatz.com/ + see her website, mimikatz.com.

Unknown said...

another story that I just know about Chinese and your history