Monday, June 18, 2012

HOLLY GOLIGHTLY

I just got off the phone with Dr. Zaklin (aka dr. mcdreamy). First the good news. The blood transfusions worked. She is stable. He said, yes, the blood has thickened back up to where it should be. She is Not on Coumidin or Heparin. "Due to the nature of the clot, it's location, it's not that dangerous, it doesn't need to be coagulated......." She went in with chronic anemia (poor diet), then she had surgery, then she got a blood clot due to the anti-biotic I.V. and then her blood became too thin, it dropped to dangerous levels, and then she needed plasma and blood transfusions. Every 'body' reacts differently. Now, I hear she can do without the Coumidin.........ok then, YIKES !

LISTEN UP, KIDS............TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF..............

Next I spoke with the G.I. guy, Dr. Orringer. He just told me she is not prepped yet, meaning she has not drunk enough of the holly GoLightly. He told me there is an alternative to the GoLightly which he wrote in  the notes on the computer. She can have Miralax + Gatorade instead. Third alternative, Magnesium Citrate. While at the hospital yesterday, nobody mentioned any alternatives. They are so understaffed, Thom, the nurse apologized for the condition of the room. I saw a patient in the hallway last night in a johnny talking in a loud voice, "does anybody work here ?" Yikes again ! The best thing I heard from Dr. Orringer was "there is urgency, it's not an emergency.........we have to find out the source of the bleeding, it might be hemorrhoids........ depending on how she does with the prep, it will be done today or tomorrow or Wednesday." Then I spoke to the Nurse, Elizabeth + told her everything he said about alternatives. Elizabeth said she is doing better drinking the stuff but would check on the alternatives, because "she doesn't want her be NPO, Nothing per oral for that long......."

Stay tuned............

No comments: