Sunday, June 17, 2012

PLASMA + BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS TODAY

The coumidin they were giving her caused her blood to become too thin.  Last night at 8:00PM a nurse told me they were giving her 2 units of plasma to fix the problem. This morning a doctor called me + said there is still blood in the stool, now they are giving her a blood transfusion, this sometimes happens, but her blood pressure is good and that's the sign they look for.  They are also consulting with a Gastroenterologist.

I am on my way there now.

UPDATE 7:30 PM

I'm sitting in her hospital room now watching her sleep. When I arrived, her nurse Julie told me the G.I. guy, Dr. Oringer ordered a colonoscopy for tomorrow. Blood in the stool. Not good. While I was here today she was given three blood transfusions, the third one is running right now. They take her vitals and blood pressure every hour. So far, so good. However, she is supposed to drink that horrible stuff, GoLightly, that no one likes. I don't know how that is going to fly - she doesn't like it. She said she wouldn't drink it, we'll see.

Now Thom, the nurse and Suzanne are hovering over her with the curtain drawn. For the sixth time, they are verifying blood.......

UPDATE  11:30 PM


I left the hospital at 10:00 pm. I'm wiped. I left Shirley after getting a good report about her vital signs, all finished with the blood transfusions, her blood pressure is good - the labs are coming back with better numbers, going in the right direction. Her color is good. Problems remain with blood in the stool - she is bleeding internally and they don't know where. She is scheduled for an endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow which meant she couldn't eat the Teriyaki chicken wings she was looking forward to or the yogurt and probiotics I brought to counteract the anti-biotics. As stated above, she does not like the GoLightly drink and every time she sips on it, she makes a face and then needs the bedpan. She is in for an uncomfortable night. I explained the seriousness of the situation to her after trying every other approach - she might be schizophrenic but she is Not stupid. And then I said, it's up to you - you decide - she gets it. Then I said I had to go home and sleep and I would come back tomorrow..............

No comments: