Monday, July 2, 2012

DRAMA AT THE FUNERAL

It was around 90 degrees at the gravesite service. My friends Dorothy, Jane, Bill, Bruce and Howard offered to come - inviting people to a funeral seemed weird - they offered - and Robin, the manager at shirley's apartment building came. She is so nice she brought me a bouquet of peach roses and one to send off with my mother. Just as the Rabbi was about to get started, off in the distance I saw a woman appearing, and then two people, one on each side of my brother, holding him up. Jon and Christine Levine live next door to him. He could not walk without aid. He has been M.I.A. during the last three weeks - I was shocked to see him - later my friends who had seen him six months ago commented on his shocking, aged appearance. He is drinking himself to death.

Not even a funeral could happen without drama in the Sandler-Miller-Silverman family. I told the Rabbi this day was about my mother, not him + we proceeded accordingly. All I could say to him was I was glad he came. Then my friends and I went out to Pho Lemongrass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my. You're right. There's plenty of drama in the Sandler family. (In fact, I majored in drama in college - hmm...) I'm glad Barry was there, and I truly hope he can find the will to turn things around in his life.