Friday, July 13, 2012

HOSPITAL BUREAUCRACY + 'THE GREETER'

I now officially have what I call "Hospital Bureaucracy Nausea". Yesterday when I walked into St. E's I was angry. A beautiful, tall, blonde woman standing by the front desk said "can I help you ?" I told her the whole story re. Barry and how he was moved from the Detox floor to the Respiratory ICU and now he is on the sixth floor, not getting the help he came into the hospital for ! Who's talking to him about Rehab programs? Where are the trained professionals he needs ?!?! I can't be the one taking on that role because I am his sister, not a trained professional ! I told her I wanted someone from the Detox floor to come down and talk to him - give him the services he came in for + I wanted someone from the hospital staff to call the Detox floor and tell them to do it because they don't listen to me, the pesky family member who gets treated like I am invisible and no one communicates with me unless I force them to ! I also told her unless that happened, I would call his insurance company and tell them not to pay the bill because he is not getting the services he came in for. She did it ! When I got to Barry's room, Craig Bennett, Clinical Director of the Detox floor was in the room talking to barry - it was exhausting but it worked.

What Barry will do is another matter. He was much better yesterday, still on 75 mg. of Librium, down from 300 ! Yikes ! He is literally drugged, can't walk, talks slowly - this is not the barry we know. Around 2:30ish he told me this detox is so horrible he never wants a drink again. Music to my ears.  Something happened around 5:00, his mood changed, very down and he asked me to get him a pint of Dewars - "do you want to live ? " I said. I am not a trained professional - this is very, very sad. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting someone to listen to you! That's amazing in itself. As for what Barry will do, you're doing all you can and even with the right people helping him, it's up to him.

carol said...

You are so right Ellen.............