Wednesday, December 19, 2012

TRAGEDY AT NEWTOWN 12.15.12

I just read a passionate post on Julian's Early Morning Blog, (Facebook Post) regarding the tragedy at Newtown at Sandy Hook elementary school last Friday. An intersection of guns and mental illness - NO ! There have been comments of "now is not the time to discuss Gun Control" ......oh yes it is + it is now all over the news including comments by our President at the vigil on Sunday evening where it was obvious he was angry. It is horrible that it takes 20 'littles' to die before even the NRA along with politicians now say, yes it is time to talk about gun control, at least assault rifles. When I was little, I was afraid of my teachers, NOT that I was going to get shot ! (teachers in the Boston public school system were really frightening at that time - eyes front, no talking, hands folded on the desk....)

And over and over again on these talk shows in the last few days, mental illness is on the table - it should not be stigmatized; these people need help; where is the help ? It's still a taboo topic. I just buried my mother, Paranoid Schizophrenic. I am still grieving over the tragedy of her life and how it impacted everyone around her. Growing up I never felt 'safe.' You never knew what Shirley was going to do. I can relate to those kids who today, probably do not feel 'safe.'  I have PTSD. I had a visceral reaction, nausea looking at the pictures on TV....."I have seen the enemy and the enemy is us." It has to Change. We are better than that. Please send donations to NAMI. Support your local chapters. I don't know why they don't have a visible presence in this media blitz but I am going to make some calls. Budgets have been slashed for mental health programs. Along with gun control, this has got to change.

The day before I went to see Shirley in the hospital last June, I called my local NAMI chapter. A woman was available to speak to me on a Sunday ! I needed support - I got it...

The Sandy Hook Elementary School Tragedy; NAMI Statement Includes Trauma Resources
ARLINGTON, Va., Dec. 14, 2012 -- The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) has issued the following statement which includes recommended links to trauma resources for families: click here to read more.


Addendum: From the Obituary of Shirley Silverman:
In lieu of flowers, contributions in her memory may be made to N.A.M.I. (National Alliance on Mental Illness,) 3803 N. Fairfax Dr. Ste. 100, Arlington, VA 22203. www.nami.org 

No comments: