Thursday, February 7, 2013

BLIZZARD WARNINGS FEBRUARY 7, 2013


BLIZZARD 2013


Ok, so much for Spring is right around the corner......LOL......this is New England after all...if you don't like the weather, wait a minute ! Everyone is running around stocking up on provisions, myself included. Fort Myers, here I come !




No traffic on the Zakim Bridge. Photo by David L. Ryan / Globe staff
by Adrienne Lavidor-Berman on Feb 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM


UPDATE: FEBRUARY 8, 2013 - 18"-24 " Expected  

Today they are comparing this storm to the Blizzard of 1978 when I was living in Cambridge with my friend Michael. The whole Boston area was shut down. No traffic on Mass. Ave. People were skiing down Mass. Ave.  No cars. It was like a Swiss village and actually was a lot of fun - no cars, no traffic, people were nicer. The convenience store across the street was open, so no problem getting provisions......

The Governor, Deval Patrick banned cars on the road after 4:00 pm, a historic order. The MBTA stopped running at 3:30 pm. Patrick emphasized that the point of the ban, which had not been used since the Blizzard of ‘78, was not to penalize people but “to emphasize how critical it is that nonessential travel on the roads cease.” The MBTA hopes to resume service by Monday." Yikes! Boston looks like a ghost town. Visibility is so low I can't see the buildings across the street. So far so good regarding power here. My building has a generator fortunately. Others in the state not so lucky, almost 250,000 without power, mostly communities on the coast.

"Blizzard warnings are now in effect for nearly the entire coast from central Maine south to New York City. If you need to get out tomorrow, the morning will provide the best travel conditions. Roads will become snow covered in the afternoon and travel nearly impossible after dark.Blizzard warning south.pngYou might be wondering if all of the coverage of the past twenty-four hours is overdone or if this storm is for real."


UPDATE February 9, 2012

Believe me, this storm is for real ! I lost my TV and internet last night.  I'm online now, sitting in the elevator lobby on my floor, using Mimi's guest network ! Still, fortunate that I do have power.

No comments: