Sunday, February 10, 2013

COUSIN KEN CHECKING IN + BRUSH WITH FAME

I got a surprise phone call from cousin Ken, checking in to see how I was weathering the storm, pun intended. We hadn't spoken in awhile. While chatting I mentioned that I was living on Mass. Ave. (between Harvard Square and Central Square in Cambridge) during the Blizzard of '78. Turns out, he had lived not far from there also (not sure when) + used to go to the Orson Welles Cinema and Jack's Bar across the street. While hanging at Jack's he said he met a singer, Spider John Koehner and his girlfriend, Bonnie. One night, Bonnie asked him to sing backup with the band. Right now, I can't remember if he did or he didn't. But 'Bonnie' turned out to be...Bonnie Raitt !

Ken's in Florida helping out his mom, Aunt Ruth who has a fractured vertebrae now. I'll have to start scanning in my photos when we got together while I lived in Berkeley and Ken lived in Eureka, CA. When I had my surgery in 1998, Ken came down and helped me out. I was really glad he came. Ken and I played endless games of cards when we were kids at Boby and Zaidy's house on various Jewish holidays during the Dorchester Years.

UPDATE: I just spoke to Aunt Ruth. She sounds good and says she is much better, not in pain anymore, Ken goes to doctors' appointments with her and she goes to the Hard Rock on Saturdays and she is still driving. She will be 92 in July.

No comments: