Tuesday, April 16, 2013

PATRIOTS DAY 2013

We'll never forget it here in Boston. Governor Deval Patrick has told us " to remain in a state of hyper vigilance. Welcome to Carol's world. If one has PTSD, then you are always in a state of hyper-vigilance. It affects every molecule. I feel stunned and nauseous. And this is less than 24 hours later.

Patriots Day. "On the eighteenth of April in '75, hardly a man is now alive who remembers that famous day and year." That would be Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in his poem about Paul Revere and his famous ride - that is the route of the Boston Marathon. We all had to memorize it in elementary school. That is the first thing I thought of when the explosions happened. On Patriots' Day.......a day supposed to be about commemorating freedom - essentially that's it. So it's no coincidence.

What cowards.....to kill innocent men, women, and children running a race ....


Paul Revere’s Ride

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

“Listen my children and you shall hear…”

paul revere midnight ride
Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.
He said to his friend, “If the British march
By land or sea from the town to-night,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,–
One if by land, and two if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm.”



2 comments:

carol said...

When I wrote this post I was thinking about Roby. What would Roby have to say about this ? I know he would have a Lot to say + he would write about it. He is very much in my thoughts now; he always is, but now especially....thank you Bernice...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I thought of my father, too, and how much he loved Boston.