Sunday, May 29, 2011

THINGS MY MOTHER TOLD ME....CONTINUED 5.29.11


We lived on 55 Gooddale Road, Stanley, Shirley and I for about a year and a half. I have a few photos from that time. I don't have any memories from that period. My aunt Ruth told me today she lived on Blue Hill Avenue facing Gooddale Road and she remembers seeing me in front of her house in the carriage.





After a year and a half, Shirley and I lived in a rented room in Brigham Circle, Boston where the Brigham and Women's Hospital is now. Exit Stanley Miller, stage left......I was not yet two years old. Shirley and Stanley divorced. At that point, in her own words "I became a single mother before it was popular to do so." Next we lived on 1222 Blue Hill Avenue in a room in a house rented by a Mrs. Wolpert. After that we lived in Mrs. Levine's rented house on Glenway Street. I have vague memories of living there. And after that in January 1953, we moved to the brand new housing project across the street from Franklin Park, 92 American Legion Highway, a couple of blocks away from the Hecht House, a  Jewish Community Center. First we lived in a one bedroom apartment. I remember one day Shirley and I were walking home and when we got there we saw fire trucks. When we got to our apartment we realized the fire was in our house ! I was sent to stay with my mother's friend Ruth Goldin. Everything we had was destroyed. I remember I got new dolls after that. A Ginny doll. The fire was caused by a guy who was smoking a cigarette when he delivered a new bed to us. Some time after that we moved to a two bedroom apartment, 104 American Legion Highway, third floor. From that apartment, we eventually moved to Malden after Shirley married Julius.


2 comments:

Molly said...

What great family photos. The one of your Mother holding you (showing you off to the person taking the photo) is just wonderful - she looks so happy, look at that smile! Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming.

carol said...

Due to technical difficulties, Bernice was not able to Comment so she emailed me instead.

Bernice said: I'm glad you are speaking to shirley and getting information. Bob remembered quite a bit, too bad he isn't here to fill in spaces of info for you. I have an envelope marked Shirley with things I think you would want, and I'll get it out to you soon. Keep up the good work - I give you a lot of credit .........