Saturday, April 21, 2012

ROSE BRONSTEIN MARCH 13, 2012 19 ADAR

I went to the Yom Iyuun, Day of Study for Rose Bronstein at K.I. (Kehillath Israel) in March commemorating her one year Yahrtzeit. For Rose, it was actually an Evening of Study. Rose (or Miss Bronstein as I knew her) was my third grade Hebrew School teacher and I credit her with my lifelong interest in Judaism and that I can still read and write Hebrew. I was known as רחל מלר , my Hebrew name, Rochel Miller. I went to the Beth El Hebrew school in Dorchester, following in the footsteps of Roby, Aunt Ruth and Shirley. Rose taught at Beth El for 20 years and then was invited to teach at Hebrew Teachers College, now Hebrew College where she had a very distinguished career for 31 years and has hundreds of students all over the world who remember her fondly. Professor Jonathan Sarna, Distinguished Scholar from Brandeis University and author of The Jews of Boston, spoke about her in glowing terms. He was also a student of Rose's at Hebrew College.

Rose and I went to lunch at Legal Seafood with one of her students and companion, Paula Korman in 2004. How did I reconnect with Rose after 45 years ?!?! Before I moved into 1550 Beacon Street, I stayed with Tova Silver for two weeks while my apartment was being renovated. I ordered some Clinique products which came with a promotional gift. Tova said she had a friend who used Clinique too, Rose Bronstein. I said I had a third grade Hebrew school teacher by that name - yes, it was the same person ! She lived 10 minutes away from me in Brookline. We called her immediately and reconnected. Eventually we went to lunch and Paula and I have remained friends.

Back to the Yom Iyuun. The Chapel at K.I. was packed with people, friends and former students of Rose. My mind went backwards to my memories of going to the Beth El Hebrew School as a little girl. We went around the room and everyone talked about their memories of Rose. Believe me, the Beth El Hebrew School was talked about a lot. I felt melancholy sitting there with the perspective of time - I could see clearly how my life changed dramatically when Shirley married Julius and we moved to Malden. No more Girls Latin school, no more Beth El Hebrew School.......our lives changed forever; took a wrong turn. Bookies have different priorities - I will say more about this when I get back to the Malden Years.

2 comments:

Mimi Katz said...

Really cool to see the Hebrew! What a terrific example of six degrees of separation! Interesting post.

Michael Robinett said...

i like the blog and how you reconnected after all those years....

mike