Wednesday, July 16, 2014

ASSORTED DORCHESTER MEMORIES 1950-1964

THE DORCHESTER YEARS


*104 American Legion Highway
As a preface to the Malden years, it is worth noting that during the Dorchester years, Shirley did not drink or smoke. There was never any alcohol in our house. I never saw her drink except on Passover when we drank that horrible Manischewitz wine.   She had friends. Marian and Mel Brenner. They lived in Randolph. We went there on Thanksgiving. Shirley made a special 'Christmas' cake with graham crackers and red and green jello. It was fun to help make it. They had three kids. Marian was a friend from high school. In the summertime, we went to Wollaston beach or Nantasket. I remember Mock taking us in his 98 Starfire Oldsmobile, black convertible with a red interior. We also went to Nantasket to visit and stay with cousin Irene and her husband Sumner Zorfas and their three kids.

Our house had a lot of books. I got books for presents and I loved them. (interesting that books seem to be on the verge of disappearing) I read a lot and Shirley read a lot, in addition to Vogue, Bazaar and Town and Country.  I loved to read; it was an escape and it worked. She took me to the theater; we saw Once Upon a Mattress in Boston.



I remember walking with Roby on Blue Hill Avenue from Boby's house to ? He gave me a book of fairytales. I loved it. I still have two books from childhood: Debbie and Her Nap and A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also, all the Madeline books..."In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines lived 12 little girls in 2 straight lines...."
















*104 American Legion Highway, pastel on cardboard, memory drawing

2 comments:

carol said...

more to come Bernice....great to see your comment! Yes there were good times and I'm glad you are enjoying reading the story...:)

Alan Z said...

Finally, a Zorfas mention...:). Came across this tonight, 1/1/21. An interesting and unexpected trip down memory lane. And Bosox coverage bonus! And hope you recall we went to game 7 vs Reds in ‘75. Happy New Year! Alan