Saturday, July 7, 2012

BARRY + MORE FAMILY DRAMA

Yesterday I got a call from Barry's friend Audrey. She read the blog post about how badly he is doing. I called McClean Hospital Residential Program. They told me he has to go to Detox first before he can go there. Audrey drove over to his house, called 911 and they took him to Norwood hospital Emergency Room.  He voluntarily went. However, no beds at Norwood Hospital in the Detox unit. So she drove him over to my house where he slept. He is in alcohol withdrawal, has the shakes and has some medicine for that. He was told he could go to St. Elizabeth's detox which is ten minutes away from me. He called them at 8:00 a.m.

Here comes more hospital bureaucracy. They have to do an intake evaluation over the phone. After that he has to go to their Emergency Room and repeat what he did yesterday. And then, MAYBE there will be a bed available......It looks like this is going to be a long day. I am going on lack of sleep for two days now, and for the past three weeks when Shirley was in the hospital.

After Barry got off the phone he said "how will i get back to Canton?" I said you are going to St. Elizabeth's detox for 4-5 days - he said "that long ?" Yesterday he agreed to go to McClean. I didn't bring that up this morning. The more delays in the 'system', the more time he has to change his mind. Yesterday he agreed to everything - today is not working out the way we were told. These are the 'duplication of services in the healthcare system" Obama is talking about. It is not serving the patients some of whom get well in spite of what passes for healthcare in America.

One of his friends, Bruce, is supposed to go to his house and get him some things and then go see Barry. Haven't heard from him yet.

Barry is now lying down in my bed while we wait for the hospital to call.

UPDATE: 11:30 AM

I am sitting in the E.R. while Barry is in a room finishing up the intake information to get admitted to the Detox Unit. I think this means there is a bed for him. I did talk to his friend Bruce, who lives in New Hampshire who is driving to Barry's house, getting his stuff and then driving back up to Brighton and St. E's - that is a good friend. We were told no visitors are allowed in the Detox unit. Since I live so close, that is disappointing. I hope he gets the help he needs. And pray he goes to McClean after that.

UPDATE: 2:30 PM

I just got home. Kissed him goodby on the tenth floor of SECAP, St. Elizabeth's Comprehensive Addiction Program. He will be there for four days. I can bring him things so I will see him, maybe tomorrow. I'm going to collapse now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're rooting for a successful recovery for Barry - he's a great guy, and between you, his friends, and the healthcare system, it sounds like he has a good chance of getting well. Ultimately, of course, it's up to him.

carol said...

Thanks a lot for your support Ellen.......we/I appreciate it.........+ you are right, ultimately it's up to him........thanks for understanding......