Monday, July 23, 2012

WEEK THREE - PROGRESS

What a week, last week........what a weekend.......the hospital transferred Barry last Thursday, not to McClean's residential treatment program, instead to a 'skilled nursing facility" where he is getting physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy (not for speech problems, but for cognitive function problems). He is in a wheelchair with a plastic bracelet that says Fall Risk.

I was called at 8:30 sunday morning by a staff person "your brother has packed his bag and wants to leave..." He called me saturday night with the same news. He called his friends too. Everyone told him to stay there. He was very angry. Can you say "emotional rollercoaster ?" At 4:00 he called to apologize....the mood swings are off the charts. When I spoke to Noelle at McClean today she said that goes with the territory. I am learning a lot of things I didn't know before. I am out of my area and will have to go to Alanon meetings to meet other people going through this.

Somehow he did not leave. I spoke to him this morning. I told him I spoke to Noelle and said "this is carol miller" and she said, "how is your brother?" This woman speaks to 100 people a day - I was amazed she remembered me and Barry. After I told barry that, he said "what is the number?" !!!! He made a call over there himself - progress, first time........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, what an ordeal for Barry and everyone around him! I hope things work out for the best.