Thursday, December 15, 2011

ROBY'S YAHRTZEIT DECEMBER 18, 2011

It's coming up in a couple of days. Roby's been gone for one year. Bernice told me everyone will be lighting a yahrtzeit candle, the Jewish tradition to honor the memory of a loved one, in this case, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather and uncle. My dear Uncle Roby or Bob as Bernice and friends called him - he told me he liked it that I called him Roby. When Bernice was in the hospital, he and I talked on the phone almost every night. Once he said, "Carol, I have something to tell you." "What ?" I asked......"I love you" was the reply. I'll never forget it.

Bernice, Ellen, Jeff, Amber, Julian and I will be lighting our candles at sunset, December 17th. As we approach the shortest day of the year, we will be adding a lot of light and Roby will know that he is sorely missed and remembered by all who loved him. Some of us will also light a candle on the Hebrew date, 11 Tevet ((January 6th) on the Jewish calendar.

Roby passed away on Shabbat. I asked a rabbi if there was any special significance in Judaism regarding passing away on Shabbat. This is what he said: "Because Shabbos is generally referred to as a day of 'Chessed - kindness - passing away on Shabbos is understood as a sign that the soul's leaving this world is an expression of G-d's kindness, as opposed to the rest of the week where it may be due to G-d's judgement."

"It tells us something about the quality of the person who passed away."

I think that says it all.



5 comments:

Amber said...

This is a beautiful post, Carol!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is.

carol said...

Thank you Bernice, Amber + Ellen. I found myself crying as I lit the candle tonight….loss….

I received a beautiful email from Molly, Ellen's high school friend who likes + follows the Sandler Family blog and sends me occasional emails. It was a very moving and emotional response to Roby's Yahrtzeit blog but she did allow me to put the following paragraph into the Comments:

"He was so very special and he being missed so very much means he was so very much loved. He will always be a part of all of you.  He touched so many lives and with him having so many students through the years, we will never know the true extent to which he impacted people's lives.  Amazing to think about it. And his essays and words will be read for generations.  He would be amazed at the power of the internet and your posting his words and thoughts and studies will be read by many many people.  And he knew that.  He was and would be so very proud and touched by all that you do for his memory and honor."

carol said...

I forgot to say that Molly asked if she could light a candle too and of course I said yes !

carol said...

Please see Julian's early morning blog, jmphlblog.blogspot.com for his post on Grandpa Sandler's Yahrzeit Candle.