Tuesday, July 12, 2016

AUNT RUTH PASSED AWAY

I just got a telephone call from Ken. His mom, Ruth Weissman passed away peacefully at 5:20 PM on July 11th, three days before her 95th birthday. She will be cremated and Ken arranged to have her ashes scattered far from the shore of the Atlantic ocean. Everybody knows she went on dozens and dozens of cruises. Eventually she stopped getting off the ship when they visited foreign ports - all she wanted to do was be on the water.

Ken shared a memory. While living on Greendale Road in Dorchester, his parents got divorced when he was 9. He told me she cooked him his favorite meal, fried chicken, potatos, salad...."she had the ability to be a kind woman. She had her own needs and now she is dead."

I have a lot of photos of Aunt Ruth and will post some of them.
 b. July 14, 1921 - d. July 11, 2016

3 comments:

Amber said...

I hadn't heard this news. Thank you for sharing. I remember at Grandpa & Bernice's wedding, I was probably 12 years old, and Aunt Ruth asked me what my favorite thing was; I said roast beef. She promised she'd feed me roast beef everyday if I'd come live with her :) She passed on Bernice's birthday.

Ellen said...

RIP, Aunt Ruth.

carol said...

Nice to hear from you Amber and Ellen. Amber, thank you for the heads up re. Bernice's birthday although I did wish her happy birthday in advance via email. Amber I tried to follow your blog but I can't find a follow button. Thank you for the funny story re. aunt ruth :) She was a character. I have more stories to tell on this blog.