Sunday, August 5, 2018

NEW COMMENT FROM 'MARIN DAVID'

Imagine my surprise upon looking at the blog this morning. I was using a tablet instead of my laptop so I did a search for the Sandler Family Archives blog. The search results lead me to a December 18, 2011 post. Again, imagine my surprise upon seeing a comment from 'marindavid' who now lives in Marin, formerly of Dorchester !

Now we have somebody elses fond memories of growing up in Dorchester - I like the way he captured it - Mattapan was 'upscale' - as a child I didn't have that perspective but looking back it certainly was. The Oriental theater did indeed have stars on the ceiling and two Buddhas, one on the right wall, one on the left wall with glowing green eyes in the dark.....

Here it is:
marindavid said...
Growing up in Dorchester in the 1950's, Saturday matinees at the Morton on Blue Hill Ave were common - BUT, for an extra 5 cents (30 cents) we could go to the Oriental where the ceiling shone with moving stars and the atmosphere was really 'upscale.' Mattapan Square was considered 'uptown' in those days, as compared with the Dorchester-Roxbury end of Blue Hill Ave where the G&G, Temple Beth Hillel and the Roger Wolcott and Pauline A. Shaw schools were across the street from each other at Morton & Norfolk Streets.

No comments: