Friday, February 22, 2019

JEWISH BASEBALL BOOK

Bernie Wax, retired historian and resident in my building gave me an unexpected gift, The Jewish Baseball Card book.







"The Board of Jewish Major Leaguers, Inc. has been consistently enthusiastic about this book project. Board members Bob Ruxin and BERNARD WAX helpfully commented on working drafts, and Bob has taken the lead in developing a marketing plan , with sage advice from Marty Appel."
 It's a terrific coffee table book. I learned that Ian Kinsler, second baseman played for the Red Sox last year in the World Series and is Jewish. I never collected baseball cards when I was a kid but a lot of guys did, Roby, Ken and my friend David. I know guys who have been following baseball since they were five years old like my friends Ron and David. I was not paying attention until August rolled around.

That changed when I moved to Berkeley and couldn't watch them at all. When I returned to Boston, I started watching the games from spring training to the end to make up for all the years I couldn't see them.

No comments: