Monday, February 18, 2019

WINTER FILM SERIES

My way of dealing with freezing cold temps is to show movies on saturday night, my Winter Film series. This season I showed romantic comedies with strong female leads.

Some of them include, Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean with Cher, Karen Black, Cathy Bates and Sandy Dennis. It is not a romantic comedy but a strong female ensemble cast directed by Robert Altman. The whole film takes place inside a 'five and dime'. To me it's the closest to Woolworths which I sorely miss.....nostalgic and powerful performances. Very powerfully told, with flashbacks and memories....

We started with Moonstruck, one of the best romantic comedies with Cher, (playing Loretta Castorini, a bookkeeper) Nicolas Cage and Olympia Dukakis who has a famous line " do you love him Loretta ? Yes, says Cher. "That's too bad, they will hurt you because they know they can." You have to love the beautiful Brooklyn, multi-story townhouse the Castorinis live in. Vincent Gardenia is the father who is a plumber. That explains the gorgeous townhouse.

Another 'black comedy' and one of my all time faves, Harold and Maude, a cult classic, starring Ruth Gordon (from Boston) and Bud Cort. I love it - she plays a 79 year old character who is incredibly feisty while she teaches the 20 something young Harold how to LIVE, "give me an L, give me an I, give me a V" and so on - music by Cat Stevens.

One of the best so far is Something's Gotta Give, written and directed by Nancy Meyers, starring Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson and Keanu Reeves and Frances McDormand. Just fabulous, plus the beautiful house in the Hamptons - very smart, adult film.....

to be continued....

No comments: