Wednesday, June 13, 2012

CAUTIONARY TALE - HEALTH CARE IN AMERICA + SHIRLEY

Shirley was brought in to the Salem Hospital May 30th for emergency surgery. Dr. Kastrinakis saved her life. They put her on an Anti-biotic I.V. On June 9th she was moved to Spaulding Rehab North, an acute care facility for surgery patients. Now they are killing her........am I exaggerating ?  See below.

This is the latest news from Jennelle, Nursing Supervisor at 9:20 PM.

MEDS:

1. HEPARIN I.V.  She has a blood clot in her arm; blood thinner; once her blood is thinned out, they will stop the I.V. + remain on Coumadin, see below. I was told this happens as a side effect from I.V.'s.

2.  COUMADIN  Blood Thinner by mouth. Takes 3 days to start working, hence the Heparin I.V. Blood tests round the clock to check and adjust the dosage.

3.  VANCOMYCIN: She's been having loose stools, constantly (although she told me it was better today). They have sent two cultures to the lab; both came back negative. Jenelle told me it is "probable C Diff" - a common infection people pick up in hospitals. Yikes ! They get a lot of false negatives so they are treating her as though she has it; treating her symptomatically with Vancomycin, 250 mg. in a drink. More anti-biotics. Double yikes !

4.  FLUCONOZOL:  An anti-fungul. Due to all the anti-biotics, she has a yeast infection.

The pharmaceutical industry is cleaning up and laughing all the way to the bank.

I am telling you kids - TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF - otherwise - once you enter what is euphemistically called Healthcare in America....... see above -

On a positive note, she seems to be recovering from the surgery itself. Now we'll see if she survives the treatment and hospital environment.

No comments: