Saturday, June 9, 2012

NAMI SUPPORT


I found a local NAMI support group that meets at the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Tuesday at 7:00pm. NAMI is the National Alliance for Mental Illness. I met a neighbor in my building who is actively involved in NAMI because his son is mentally ill and has not been seen or heard from in ten years. When I lived in Berkeley I discovered NAMI and met a wonderful woman who was the leader of the group. That's when I began reading up on Schizophrenia and learned about the different medications available for Shirley. She took them at that time; she was on Stelazine for seven years.

I also called Tricia who is the Facilitator of the group at the Newton-Wellesley hospital. She will call me later today. It really helps to speak with people knowledgeable about the illness who can understand what I am going through, and frankly have been going through my whole life. Now that I have gone through EMDR therapy for five + years, I am better able to cope with what is going on.

UPDATE 3:30PM


I just spoke to Tricia, what a blessing..........being the care-giver in this situation is overwhelming; I have not seen Shirley for almost ten years. It is a slightly unnerving and terrifying situation. Since she is not on meds, she is very paranoid and can be verbally abusive. I heard her say something about one of the nurses - yikes ! The last time I spoke with Shirley was about a year ago, this very time of year when I called to tell her Barry was in the Norwood hospital in the de-tox ward. It took her 48 hours, but my phone rang one night and caller I.D. said it was Shirley Silverman.....yikes again ! Tricia is expecting me at the meeting next Tuesday night at 7:00 pm and also gave some good advice on my visit with Shirley tomorrow.

No comments: